Tehillim 119:22

Sunday, February 11, 2018 · Posted in , , ,

Tehillim 119:22
גַּל מֵעָלַי חֶרְפָּה וָבוּז כִּי עֵדֹתֶיךָ נָצָרְתִּי
gal me'alai cherpa vavuz ki edoteicha natzarti
Remove from me insult and contempt; for I have kept Your testimonies.


King David refers to the sixth obstruction, namely, those who vilify and abuse Yisrael. Accordingly, he pleads, "Remove from me insult and contempt; for I have kept Your testimonies."

Why do they vilify and abuse me? It is because "I have kept Your testimonies."

A different interpretation says: "Remove from me humiliation and reproach." Help me to keep the Torah, so others will not say to me: First remove the beam from between your own eyes, before you tell us to remove the splinter from ours. Only then will I be able to say, "I have kept Your testimonies."

Then again, King David pleads: "Remove from me insult and contempt" because "I have kept Your testimonies." I was not ashamed to do so in the presence of those who ridicule me. Indeed, I ask: Let them not accuse me, nor ridicule anyone who adheres to Your Torah. May these words of the Scripture come true for us: "And all the peoples of the earth will see that you are called by the name of Hashem; and they will be afraid of you" (Devarim 28:10).

Remove from me: Heb. גל, an expression of rolling, like (Bereishit 29:10): “and he rolled (ויגל) the stone.”

- Me'am Lo'ez; Chabad

Leave a Reply

....