Perek Shirah - Sun Says

Saturday, February 13, 2016 · Posted in ,

שֶׁמֶשׁ אוֹמֵר - Sun Says:

Chavakuk 3:11
שֶׁמֶשׁ יָרֵחַ עָמַד זְבֻלָה לְאוֹר חִצֶּיךָ יְהַלֵּכוּ לְנֹגַהּ בְּרַק חֲנִיתֶךָ
shemesh yareach amad zevula leor chitzeicha yehalechu lenoga berak chanitecha.
Sun and moon stood still in its habitat; at the light of Your arrows as they go, 
at the brightness of the gleam of Your spear.

The prophet recalls the wars waged by Yehoshua, when "Sun and moon stood still in their habitat."  The heavens came to a standstill for the Benei Yisrael, "until the nation had avenged themselves of their enemies" (Yehoshua 10:13).

In the course of the battle, the Almighty cast lightning bolts and hailstones upon their enemies, who fled before the Benei Yisrael.  The lightning bolts are referred to as "arrows of G-d" and as "Your spear."

Both the sun and the moon are mentioned, yet the singular form of "stood" appears עמד (amad).  For in the future to come, the sun and moon will enjoy the same stature.  The Sages teach that they will shine with equal brightness, just as they did at the time of their creation.  It will happen after the Third Temple is built.

I am the sun, the mighty king of the sky
The most powerful man, can't look me straight in the eye
People think I am the source of all light but I wonder why
I am simply a humble servant of my master on high

To conceal His brilliant light, Hashem made me His mask
To see through this ruse, is your life's ultimate task
I yearn for the day when people will not question or ask
Together in Hashem's light, you and I will both bask 
(Revach)

Leave a Reply

....