Tehillim 119:26

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 · Posted in , ,

Tehillim 119:26
דְּרָכַי סִפַּרְתִּי וַתַּעֲנֵנִי לַמְּדֵנִי חֻקֶּיךָ
derachai siparti vataaneni lamdeni chukeicha
I have told my ways, and You answered me; teach me Your statues.

David Hamelech says to G-d, "I have told my ways, and You answered me." Whenever I had to travel anywhere at all, I would tell You and ask for Your councel. As it says, "And David inquired of Hashem" (1Shmuel 30:8)

Any number of times I inquired of You, "and You answered me" - in Keila and Ziklag (ibid.). Therefore, I pleade now, "Teach me Your statues." Answer this present plea of mine as well. Grant me an understanding heart truly to grasp Your statues.

Another reading of ספרתי says: "I have counted." David Hamelech says, "I have counted" my many responsibilities in having to provide for my needs and the needs of my family, and so I am incapable of devoting myself to study. "Answer me," therefore, by providing for all my needs; and "teach me Your statutes." Instruct me how to acquire knowledge of Your statutes through Your help, not through my effort and toil.

"I have counted my ways, and You answered me." Whenever I reminded myself of Your Thirteen Attributes (cf. Shemot 34:6, 7), I would examine myself and count my ways. I would ask whether I had conducted myself in accordance with those attributes. A covenant is established regarding the Thirteen Attributes, that when one emulates them, one's prayers never come back empty-handed. Since "You answered me," it means that I have followed in Your ways. Therefore, "teach me Your statutes." If "my ways" have been proper, I will surely be refined through observance of Your statutes.

David Hamelech said earlier, "Princes also sit and talk against me, but Your servant speaks in Your statutes" (v119:23). Lest this proclamation be itself cause enough for them to accuse me of pride, I said to them, "My soul cleaves to the dust" (v119:25). I did not make that declaration boastfully. Indeed, a number of times "I have told my ways" - I poured out entreaty before Hashem that He help me vanquish the yetzer hara; and He "answered me." So I am not at all deserving of personal praise.

"I have told of my ways" - I asked for physical things - "and You answered me." If you have thus responded to the physical needs of my body, then assuredly You will "teach me Your statutes" which are food for the soul.

-Me'am Lo'ez, Chazal

One Response to “Tehillim 119:26”

  1. What's Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I am hoping to give a contribution & assist other users like its helped
    me. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

....